Oxfordshire Exercise on Referral
Exercise on referral aims to help patients with specific health issues to become more physically active by offering tailored exercise programmes delivered by trained professionals.
Who is it for?
The scheme is for people aged 16 or over who are registered with a GP within Oxfordshire and are not currently active but would like to use physical activity to manage a health condition such as:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Mental health problems such as depression or anxiety
- Musculoskeletal complaints
- Respiratory disease
Visit your surgery and discuss with your GP or nurse. They can check your eligibility and provide you with the referral form (you will need this before any sessions can begin).
What are the benefits of the scheme?
- A free fitness assessment and readiness for exercise screening with a qualified exercise instructor.
- A free gym induction and exercise programme designed to meet your individual medical and fitness needs.
- Reduced rates for using the gym for 12 weeks
- Reduced rates for swimming and taking part in fitness classes for 12 weeks.
- Access to specialist group classes e.g. for people with cardiac problems (not available at all facilities)
- An assessment when you complete 12 weeks on the scheme.
- Continued support and advice from dedicated exercise professionals
How long does the scheme last?
The exercise on referral scheme is intended as an introduction to getting more active. You will have the support and direction of a dedicated instructor for 12 weeks. After 12 weeks the team will help you to find the right activity to keep you motivated to exercise.
Is it safe for me to exercise?
If your medical professional completes an exercise referral form for you, they are giving you the go ahead to get active!
A trained fitness professional will provide a full fitness assessment and 12 week programme of gentle activity to meet your individual medical and fitness needs.
Which leisure facilities offer Exercise on Referral?
Open the below file to find out which facilities offer Exercise on Referral in Oxfordshire.
For health professionals
Health professionals can refer patients into the Exercise on Referral scheme. For full guidelines on the scheme including information on how to sign up as a referrer download the Clinician's guide to Exercise on Referral below.
- Clinicians Guide To Exercise On Referral September 2015 (PDF, 495 Kb)